At Dailey Law Offices, we believe that following a divorce, extended family such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins become that much more important to the well-being of the child. Grandparent Rights is becoming an increasingly popular matter of dispute in the area of Family Law. There is an increasingly large amount of case law coming out in this area of family law and the consensus seems to be that unless the parent or parents are deemed to be unfit to care for the children that are the matter of the visitation issue, the parent or parents can decide who their children will or won’t visit with.
If you are a grandparent you may have rights to visitation. Contact our Hilliard grandparents' rights attorney today to start discussing your case.
What are My Rights as a Grandparent in Ohio?
- Ohio statutes give maternal or paternal grandparents the right to petition the Domestic Court for visitation with their grandchildren, but the Court has a lot of discretion as to whether or not visitation shall be granted.
Our Hilliard grandparents' rights lawyer can help you with these issues and more.
The court, when deciding if grandparent visitation is in the best interests of the child, considers many factors, including:
- The parent's wishes
- Prior relationships with the grandparent in question
- Travel distance between the grandparent and the child
- The unscheduled time the child has available
- The age of the child
- How well the child adjusts to the new environment created by the divorce (school, home, community, etc.)
- The child's wishes
- The health and safety of the child
- Time to spend with siblings
- The physical and mental health of everyone involved
- How willing the grandparent is to reschedule missed visitations
We can help you fight for your rights as a grandparent. Contact Dailey Law Offices to start discussing your situation.
For more resources and information for seniors and caregivers in the Greater Columbus area, including Franklin County, visit A Place For Mom's directory.
Real Cases. Real People. Real Testimonials
Stephanie was great helping me get through my divorceAnonymous
Columbus bankruptcy attorneys are not all the same!Anonymous
We couldn't be more happy with Dailey Law OfficesScott & Jennie
We Get To Know Our Clients & Provide One-On-One Representation
Our Firm Has Handled Well Over a Thousand Family Law Cases
We Offer Affordable Flat-Rate Pricing on Many Types of Cases