Hilliard Grandparents’ Rights Attorney
Preserve Your Relationship with Your Grandchildren in Ohio
If you are a grandparent you may have rights to visitation. Contact our Hilliard grandparents’ rights attorney today to start discussing your case. Give us a call today.
What are My Rights as a Grandparent in Ohio?
- Ohio statutes give maternal or paternal grandparents the right to petition the Domestic Court for visitation with their grandchildren, but the Court has a lot of discretion as to whether or not visitation shall be granted.
Our Hilliard grandparents’ rights lawyer can help you with these issues and more.
The court, when deciding if grandparent visitation is in the best interests of the child, considers many factors, including:
- The parent’s wishes
- Prior relationships with the grandparent in question
- Travel distance between the grandparent and the child
- The unscheduled time the child has available
- The age of the child
- How well the child adjusts to the new environment created by the divorce (school, home, community, etc.)
- The child’s wishes
- The health and safety of the child
- Time to spend with siblings
- The physical and mental health of everyone involved
- How willing the grandparent is to reschedule missed visitations
How Much Visitation Can Grandparents Get in Ohio?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to how often you should be allowed to see your grandchild. This will depend largely on the child’s best interests and what the parent’s schedule reasonably allows. In some cases, if your visitation rights pose an undue financial burden on the parents, you may be required to pay some transportation costs for visitations.
It is preferable to undergo mediation with the parents of your grandchild outside of court if you are able to. During this meeting you can discuss how often you will be able to visit your grandson with the parents, their attorney, and your own attorney.
We can help you fight for your rights as a grandparent. Contact Dailey Law Offices to start discussing your situation.
For more resources and information for seniors and caregivers in the Greater Columbus area, including Franklin County, visit A Place For Mom’s directory.
Contact Our Offices
"*" indicates required fields