Columbus, OH Estate Planning Lawyer
Columbus, OH Estate Planning Lawyer
Have you thought about what you want to happen to all your money and property when you die? Yes, it may be a little odd to ask if you think about dying! But the fact is that death happens everyday, and there are things you can do now to ease the stress of your passing on your family later. An estate plan allows you to control how your assets are divided and distributed, as well as protect your loved ones from having a substantial amount of legal burdens fall on their shoulders.
It’s understandable to be intimidated by the estate planning process, especially if you haven’t done a lot of research or know exactly what it entails. That’s what we’re here for! Dailey Law Offices will take the time to educate you and answer any questions you may have along the way, so that you can make informed decisions that make you confident in your future. Call our skilled Columbus estate planning lawyer today to schedule your free consultation, and learn how we can make the estate planning process smooth sailing for you!
What Is Included In An Estate Plan?
An estate plan can be very versatile, and allow you to pick and choose which elements go into it based on your unique needs and desires. However, a comprehensive and effective estate plan is recommended to include:
- A will, which is the traditional document that lists your property and assets, as well as who you would like to inherit them
- A living will, also known as an advance directive, which allows you to specify your preferences for medical care, to be used in the event that you become incapacitated and unable to speak for yourself
- A trust, which is a financial entity that you transfer your assets to for the benefit of your heirs
- A power of attorney (or multiple powers of attorney), which allow you to name a trusted individual who is able to make legal, financial, and/or medical decisions on your behalf
- Beneficiary designations, which are instructions to organizations such as financial institutions, insurance companies, and retirement account holders specifying who should receive the assets or benefits upon your death
- Guardianship designations, which allow you to name a guardian to care for your minor children in the event you become incapacitated or pass away
- And more!
How Does An Estate Plan Benefit Me And My Family?
There are many advantages of working with our knowledgeable Columbus estate planning lawyer to create an estate plan.
For one, estate plans put you in control of many different aspects, whether it be how your hard-earned life’s wealth is dispersed, who looks after your children if you’re not able to, what type of medical care you receive, and more. This is your life and your family, so why shouldn’t you be the one making the important decisions?
Additionally, estate plans make your wishes clear. Can you imagine the heartbreak your family might endure if something tragic were to happen to you, and they didn’t know how to make crucial medical decisions for you? It could be agonizing, and lead to years of pain and uncertainty.
Finally, estate plans protect your loved ones from troublesome legal dilemmas. A dynamic estate plan that includes a trust (or many trusts) will bypass the Ohio probate process, which is stressful, expensive, and lasts for months (9-12)! Trusts can be inherited by beneficiaries immediately following your passing. Moreover, because estate plans are explicit expressions of your last wishes, they stand a better chance against things like will contests or other lawsuits.
Trust Our Columbus Estate Planning Lawyer To Simplify The Process!
Putting off the important task of estate planning means taking a risk that you’ll run out of time. Don’t wait! Let Dailey Law Offices walk you through every step and help protect your legacy. Our lead attorney, Stephanie Dailey, has nearly 20 years of experience and a record of satisfied clients. Call today to schedule your free consultation and learn more!
Contact Our Offices
"*" indicates required fields